Skip Hire FAQs

Here's some useful advice and answers to common questions that should help ensure you get the skip you need - when and where you need it. If you need further advice, just get in touch.


  • Make sure you hire a big enough skip – one large skip is more cost effective than two smaller ones.
  • If you plan to put the skip on the road or verge outside your house, you’ll need a permit from your council. Give us details at the time of hiring and we can arrange the skip permit for you or assist you (as different conditions apply in different council areas).
  • Do use Pinden. Unlike many skip hire companies, we have our own recycling facility on-site. We aim to reclaim up to 100% of the waste and, in the process, avoid the use of landfill.


  • Do not put any of the following in your skip: fridges or freezers, televisions, fluorescent tubes, light bulbs, tyres, asbestos, clinical/medical waste, liquids including oil, paint and solvents, food waste, gas bottles and any hazardous, flammable or toxic material.
  • Do not overfill your skip.
  • Do not light fires in the skip.


What do I do when I have finished with the skip?

When the skip is full, a simple call to the office notifying us of collection is all that is required. Removal can take a few days. If you require urgent removal, please notify us we will happily schedule the collection for an allotted date.

How do I pay for the skip?

We can take payment over the phone using a credit or debit card which incurs no extra cost. This is ideal if you do not plan to be in at the time of delivery. A cash payment can be made to the driver on the day, although due to safety reasons, our drivers do not carry a cash float, so the correct money is appreciated.

Alternately to use our online booking system click here

Cheques are no longer accepted.

What am I allowed to put in the skip?

We can take most types of waste except:

  • Fridge/ Freezers
  • Tyres
  • Food
  • Liquids
  • Coshh (paint, oils, diesel and petrol)
  • Special or hazardous waste

Asbestos (Skips for Asbestos waste can be hired separately through the office with site registration and consignment notes arranged)

What if I need to put the skip on the road?

When a skip is placed on the public highway, permission is needed from the local authority. The cost, duration and conditions are different depending on the authority. We are happy to organise the licence but bear in mind the following information:

  • Bexley Council: 2 days notice required for application, 14 day duration
  • Bromley Council: 3 days notice required for application, 14 day duration
  • Greenwich Council: 3 days notice required for application, 30 day duration
  • Kent County Council: 3 days notice required for application, 7 day duration
  • Medway Council: 3-5 days notice required for application, 14 day duration

What size skip should I hire?

We are often asked this question as it is hard to visualise the size of a skip in relation to the amount of waste you have. Our most popular size is the 6 yard skip (4.6 cubic metres). It is approximately the size of an average car. You can check out our full skip range here.

Interested in Skip Hire FAQs?

contact us on 01474 707827 or email us to find out more or if you are looking to hire a skip
get a quote now